Saturday, June 19, 2004

Storage, USA



That’s where I am.

All moved out of my condo and moved in with my folks for a few weeks. It is weird. Last night I was downstairs eating raspberries and whipped cream while my mom and sister yakked about whatever. I suddenly felt like a teenager again. I took my sugared fruit to my room, put in The Cure Galore on my 50 year old boom box, plopped on the bed and IMed with my boyfriend till 1 in the morning. It was just like being a teenager again except I was IMing and not on the phone and I can do whatever I want cuz I am an adult and not sneaking because I am 15 and grounded. Despite the discomfort of the tension between my father and me, being home is kind of nice. I didn’t grow up in this house but just being around them and all their stuff is like stepping backwards in time. I am recollecting memories long lost in the archives of my past. Some rendering loud gaffaws, others a sly smirk, others a bittersweet frown, others a shake of the head and an eye roll, and then there are those memories that cause your face to twist into an expression that screams OH GEEEEEEEZ THAT’S RIIIIIIGHT. OMG… Then you silently make a deal with yourself to disregard the memory and assume no responsibility for your actions during that moment in history.

Rifling through old pictures, I stroll down memory lane and just can’t stop smiling. I was a really happy kid. Such a little lady, always with my dolls and legs crossed with little cute outfits my mom dressed me in like the brown courderoy jumper, white tights and brown cloghoppers. Always smiling. Then as I get older, the smiles turn to grimaces. There are pictures of me when I was in my early teens and in every picture I look as if it is the worst day of my life. I was such a tortured soul. You couldn’t pay me a million bucks to go through that again. Such a confusing time. Is it that hard for boys too? I wonder if it’s rougher on girls. Judging by the look on my face in these pictures, I would say the answer is Yes. Even these seemingly tortured photos make me smile. Amuses me now that I have had the life experience to know what hardship truly is. If only I knew then what I knew now...Crap, did I just say that? Isn't that like the #1 most cliche thing one can say? lol

There are great comforts in small things. Things like my mom coming in to see if I want something to eat while I sit writing in my room or noticing her smiling face as I tell her about my plans for my future or listening to my dad and my son giggling together downstairs. Makes me happy. Makes me glad that there is this two week hiatus between closes of escrows. Makes me realize that sometimes all we need to put things into perspective is slow down and take notice of what’s around us. Because in the end, these are the things that matter most. Not your career, not your looks, not your bank account balance or the car you drive, not whether or not the people you think are cool think you’re cool too but the little things in the people who matter most. Your family. Lovers come and go. Friends do as well. We may not get along with our family all of the time. They may drive us completely bonkers sometimes. They may wound us like no other has ever wounded us before but in the end, they are our blood and much like that birthmark on your ass, they are always going to be there. So, I am taking some time to appreciate mine despite our differences (family not birthmarks).

Speaking of differences, I went shopping to get my dad a father’s day gift and I could not believe the killer sales going on right now! Big difference from the last time I was there…wait, no, that’s not right, they always have good sales. I was just trying to make moving on to a new topic flow. LOL So now that everything I own less 2 suitcases (one strictly containing shoes of course) is being stored in my parents’ vacant warehouse, (thank Begeezus that they have that building because it sure is nice saving that money on storage so I could go blow it on INC clothes and shoes at Macys), I rationalized buying clothes and shoes because after all, a girl can’t live out of ONE suitcase for 3 weeks. Gotta have back up outfits in case something comes up like the need to look extra cute for no particular reason.

What is it with women and shopping? I go into a zone. This is why I prefer shopping alone. I like to go in and get out. I am not down to spend all fucking day sashaying around in price tagged clothing in front of mirrors that actually add cottage cheese to your thighs (because that shit was NOT there when I got out of the shower, mmkay) and walking out with one shirt. When I shop, I am on a mission. I hunt, I grab, I try on and I buy. It’s easy. What the fuck takes so long for some chicks? I have been with girls who took forever in the store. I have owned a store and seen women try on everything, throw everything on the floor and walk out without buying a fucking thing. Goddamn inconsiderate cunts. I hope they all get yeast infections. I am always conscious of hanging everything back up and handing it to the gal. They are not making much and probably don’t have benefits so make a note people, when you go shopping, put your shit back on the hangers and hand it over nicely. Even better, put the stuff back where you found it.

Reflecting on this last week, I am left with the following thoughts:

* Appreciate your loved ones and tell them what they mean to you before you move away because then you will beat yourself up for being too chickenshit to say it to their face before you drove away in the Uhaul with pieces of their hearts in the tread of the tires.

* Put everything in storage except for 7 outfits so that you can justify buying 7 more to hold you over until you are out of storage.

* When your dad says something mean to you, don’t argue with him. Grab your keys and go consume 4 raspberry vodka lemondrops at your local ristorante.

* Packing tape is best used for packing, not the following:

1.) Scary Tape Face;
2.) Removing upper lip hair;
3.) Holding wrapped cords in place;
4.) Anything having to do with being near plastic;
5.) Sticking to the bottom of your cat’s paws;
6.) Substituting as wine bottle cork;
7.) Holding Swifter sheets onto the piece of shit Swifter broom;
8.) Anything having to do with a fish tank;
9.) Holding one’s hair back;
10.) Scary Little Kid Tape Face (they will scream when you pull it off – use scotch tape for this)

4 Comments:

At 6:19 PM , Blogger oakleyses said...

polo outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, michael kors outlet, uggs outlet, michael kors outlet, christian louboutin, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet, burberry handbags, gucci handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet online, nike free, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin shoes, nike outlet, christian louboutin outlet, tiffany and co, christian louboutin uk, longchamp outlet, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, nike air max, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet store, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, prada handbags, burberry outlet, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, ugg boots, tiffany jewelry, uggs outlet, louis vuitton, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online

 
At 6:23 PM , Blogger oakleyses said...

louboutin pas cher, north face, converse pas cher, north face uk, oakley pas cher, ray ban uk, hollister uk, michael kors, coach outlet, true religion outlet, sac vanessa bruno, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren, hogan outlet, polo lacoste, nike air max, kate spade outlet, burberry pas cher, hollister pas cher, lululemon canada, new balance, chanel handbags, true religion outlet, jordan pas cher, michael kors outlet, sac longchamp pas cher, coach outlet store online, michael kors, timberland pas cher, sac hermes, michael kors pas cher, guess pas cher, coach purses, nike blazer pas cher, nike air force, kate spade, nike tn, longchamp pas cher, vans pas cher, true religion outlet, air max, ray ban pas cher, nike free run, coach outlet, nike roshe

 
At 6:30 PM , Blogger oakleyses said...

mac cosmetics, instyler, herve leger, vans outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, mulberry uk, nike roshe run, hollister clothing, celine handbags, reebok outlet, nike air max uk, baseball bats, nfl jerseys, p90x workout, babyliss, abercrombie and fitch, nike air max, mont blanc pens, hollister, insanity workout, nike roshe run uk, jimmy choo outlet, nike air max uk, north face outlet, asics running shoes, ferragamo shoes, nike trainers uk, new balance shoes, ralph lauren uk, longchamp uk, bottega veneta, nike huaraches, beats by dre, hermes belt, soccer shoes, giuseppe zanotti outlet, north face outlet, wedding dresses, chi flat iron, soccer jerseys, lululemon, valentino shoes, nike free uk, ghd hair, mcm handbags

 
At 6:35 PM , Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors handbags, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, links of london, michael kors outlet online, supra shoes, converse outlet, pandora uk, ugg uk, ugg, ugg pas cher, converse, louis vuitton, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, replica watches, gucci, juicy couture outlet, ray ban, louboutin, timberland boots, lancel, doke gabbana, swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, karen millen uk, pandora charms, hollister, nike air max, swarovski, wedding dresses, hollister, ralph lauren, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, louis vuitton, oakley, vans, toms shoes, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, thomas sabo, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, marc jacobs

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home