Sunday, March 21, 2004

Perfectly Imperfect



The weekend started out fairly rocky. The man friend had a hectic week of work, both day job and freelance so things were a bit distant; which is fine, I am not the type of girl who needs to be with or validated by her boyfriend constantly. I appreciate my own time to work, study, do whatever as much as the next person but I was missing him since my soul sucking job blows and being with him on IM is really the only thing I look forward to during the work day…but alas, we hadn’t really talked on the phone all week and he wasn’t his usual fun & attentive self on IM; hence making me feel ashamedly needy. Ugh. I hate even admitting it but it’s true I was feigning the Everything’s ok front but inside all I wanted was for him to be Mr. Romantical-Attentive-Sweetheart-Boyfriend.

By the time Friday rolled around, I was ready to see him. I was so excited to just be together and hang out, be in his arms and shut out the rest of the world and all my troubles for an entire weekend. But traffic threw a wrench in my plan. By the time I arrived at the Oakland airport, the traffic was so bad getting into the airport, it took me 25 minutes just to get to the fucking sidewalk of the airport where he was waiting, then another good half hour of inching along out of the airport to the freeway. I felt like killing someone. Both of us tend to get cranky and quiet when we are hungry so basically that whole time was spent in silence. By the time we finally got the restaurant, we both felt like we were going to pass out, kill someone or scream. Seated and bread in hand, his Normalcy-Meter started to rise but I was still in Famine-Mode since I don’t eat bread. So we ordered drinks and an appetizer. Poached lobster on whipped potatoes and I got a chocolate martini (which this joint is supposed to be famous for). The drinks come and as soon as I put my lips to my drink, he says “Baby, that looks disgusting.” He said it with so much disgust that it offended me and I set the drink down and said “Gee thanks.” Then he said something to the effect of it not being personally towards me but I was already irritated by traffic and hunger and annoyed that he would say something like that AS I was ingesting it and was now in Shut Down Mode. The appetizer came and it was horrifying. It looked like someone had skinned and sliced a vagina up and set it on top of mashed potatoes with a frig of parsley on top. Feeling as if I would barf, I made the waiter take it away.

*awkward silence*

*random meeting of the eyes and looking away*

*looking around the restaurant but not at each other*

The food finally comes and during the meal, for the first time ever, we really had nothing to say to each other. The weekend prior he had snapped at me a few times and I think when he started snapping at me again on this night, it all sort of came up like boiling kettle. He snapped at me a few times over dinner and I was just pissed off. All I could tell myself was “I am not going to tolerate this in my life.” But I didn’t say anything. I was quiet and when we got to my place, I did laundry and went to sleep. It was very uncomfortable.

I woke up early, around 7:30 on Saturday which is something I never do but I needed some Me Time. I did pilates, went to tan, got us frappacinnos, took a shower and got ready for the day. I woke him up and was very nice to him, trying to start over and have a nice weekend. He responded as I hoped and we went to eat and then to the movies. We saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind with Jim Carrey and it was amazing. If you didn’t like Being John Malkovich or Lost in Translation, you probably wouldn’t like this movie either but we loved it. Kate Winslet's character is named Clementine and well, I won’t ruin the movie for you guys but it touched me so much that I am going to name my baby girl kitty after her. Clementine. Awwwwwwww. You know, I was really tripping out because this movie had a message for me. I left with the same message as I got from the psychic reading. It is as if life is screaming for me to hear a message: Focus on now and appreciate what you have in the here in now instead of focusing on what is or might go wrong. That’s the message I got from the movie, despite what you know about a person, it doesn’t matter, appreciate them for who they are and enjoy them if you choose to have them in your life.

Do we really know how to enjoy each other? Do we get caught up in pointing fingers or sacrificing or being selfish? What is it truly mesh with another human being without all the bells and whistles? Who knows. I am sure it’s different for all of us. For the rest of the weekend, we just had fun together doing nothing. We saw a total of 5 movies, 3 in the theater, one rental and one PPV. Being with him, feeling safe and warm, my feet in his lap in the darkness of the theater, stealing glances at his kind face as he watched the screen, feeling his fingers interlacing mine, no agenda, no commitments, just being. Together. In love. In it's imperfection. I couldn’t think of one thing I would change. It was perfectly imperfect.

Things started off rocky but maybe for a reason. Maybe life is telling me to slow down and smell the roses. Maybe all this change I am preparing myself for has become too much of a focal point and I am not really seeing what’s there in front of me. Seeing what’s there in it’s totality, the positive and the negative, because love is unconditional and as much as we seek it, how many of us are truly capable of it ourselves and if we are, do we truly give it to the ones we love?



5 Comments:

At 6:18 PM , Blogger oakleyses said...

polo outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, michael kors outlet, uggs outlet, michael kors outlet, christian louboutin, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet, burberry handbags, gucci handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet online, nike free, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin shoes, nike outlet, christian louboutin outlet, tiffany and co, christian louboutin uk, longchamp outlet, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, nike air max, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet store, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, prada handbags, burberry outlet, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, ugg boots, tiffany jewelry, uggs outlet, louis vuitton, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online

 
At 6:22 PM , Blogger oakleyses said...

louboutin pas cher, north face, converse pas cher, north face uk, oakley pas cher, ray ban uk, hollister uk, michael kors, coach outlet, true religion outlet, sac vanessa bruno, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren, hogan outlet, polo lacoste, nike air max, kate spade outlet, burberry pas cher, hollister pas cher, lululemon canada, new balance, chanel handbags, true religion outlet, jordan pas cher, michael kors outlet, sac longchamp pas cher, coach outlet store online, michael kors, timberland pas cher, sac hermes, michael kors pas cher, guess pas cher, coach purses, nike blazer pas cher, nike air force, kate spade, nike tn, longchamp pas cher, vans pas cher, true religion outlet, air max, ray ban pas cher, nike free run, coach outlet, nike roshe

 
At 6:34 PM , Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors handbags, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, links of london, michael kors outlet online, supra shoes, converse outlet, pandora uk, ugg uk, ugg, ugg pas cher, converse, louis vuitton, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, replica watches, gucci, juicy couture outlet, ray ban, louboutin, timberland boots, lancel, doke gabbana, swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, karen millen uk, pandora charms, hollister, nike air max, swarovski, wedding dresses, hollister, ralph lauren, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, louis vuitton, oakley, vans, toms shoes, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, thomas sabo, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, marc jacobs

 
At 7:35 AM , Blogger wael mohamed said...

شركة ركن المثاليه لخدمات التنظيف ومكافحة الحشرات
ارخص شركة تنظيف بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بالخبر
شركة تنظيف بالجبيل
شركة تنظيف منازل بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف بالاحساء

 
At 7:36 AM , Blogger wael mohamed said...

شركة ركن المثاليه لخدمات التنظيف ومكافحة الحشرات
ارخص شركة تنظيف بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بالخبر
شركة تنظيف بالجبيل
شركة تنظيف منازل بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف بالاحساء

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home