Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Valentines and House Fires

It's been three years since I started this blog and I'd wager it is as popular as it was when I started it. lol Anyhoo (god, I hate when people say that and I just said it. What does that mean?), I went through my archives to check out where I was in life three years ago and was reminded why I do not cook. For your amusement, here is my entry from Valentine's Day 2004:

"Being that he was broke and I am single mother/student (i.e. BrokeAssMammaJamma), we did the laying low thing all weekend. I got groceries and played house...Betty Crocker/Valentine/Drinking Buddy/Personal Loveslave all rolled in one for the long holiday weekend, Mr. Man…ok maybe more like Betty’s danger prone cousin. I somehow managed to overfill the casserole dish so the cheese from the lasagna spilled out and onto the bottom of the oven, thereby catching on fire and filling my house with smoke. The Man and The Kid had to watch TV in the front room shivering under blankets with the heater blasted on 90 degrees to offset the 35 degree draft that was coming in from all the windows being open while I ran through the house frantically waving dishtowels around over my head in an effort to air the fucking place out before the smoke alarm went off. THEN as if I didn’t demonstrate my housewife dysfunction enough Saturday night, on Sunday, I decided to barbeque a tri tip, I mean how can I fuck up BBQ??! Oh the reality never ceases to prove my logic wrong. It was all looking good until I went to turn it after 15 minutes and when I opened the lid of the bbq, the whole fucking slab of meat was on fire. Not just burnt but up in goddamn unrelenting flames. In a panic, I start hopping up and down (no clue why because it really didn’t help put out the fire) and beating it with the big ass bbq fork thingy, stab it through it’s center, yank it off the grill, sending it off the fork, into the air, over my shoulder and onto the pavement of my patio with a sloppy thud. Well, the fire went out. Looking over my shoulder to ensure the coast was clear, giving myself clearance, I then hosed it off, slathered it with bbq sauce and stuck it back on the grill. Hey, the ten second rule always applies in times of desperation and no one was harmed in the production of this meal. Overall, the food tasted really good with my side dish of humiliation."

Sweet. As if I needed to remember why I do not cook. Not only do I cause house fires when I cook but I blow shit up too. I can't even hard boil eggs without blowing those motherfuckers up. Hence, the reason Sean has banned me from the kitchen. Well, there are worse things in life than not being able to cook. I could be stupid.

We will see how this Valentine's Day pans out. Probably pretty uneventful since the idea of the grand production of going out to eat with a 9 yr old and an infant (who most likely will wake up demanding a nipple right before the food arrives which sucks because I end up breastfeeding through the entire meal and by the time she is satiated and I get to put her down or pass her off, my food is cold) is not exactly romantic. But I have enough romance in my every day life to make Valentine's Day less important than it was in past relationships with boys (not men) who didn't deserve me (hair flip) and whom I bent over backwards for (for no logical reason actually) and who always disappointed me.

So, in three years, I am still broke, still can't cook, and I am still funny. What has changed? I finally turned my backwards taste in men around. I fiinally took interest in a good guy and I am keeping him.

Hey, I deserve a pat on the back.

*pat*

Hey, another for good measure...

*pat*




Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At 11:03 PM , Blogger t.rex said...

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! [what a catchy way to begin a comment, eh?]

i was reading along, reading along - laughing at my screen stoned as a gopher - reading along, and then i read, "...i could be stupid" with a hyperlink.

at that moment of recognition, my mind said: "dear jesus, if anything has ever been sacred here, in the future, or in the time of the dinosaurs, please, please, please let the link be to hollyland." AND LO!

woman, i love you. you crack my ass. MY ASS!

 
At 11:31 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

Well, you know what they say:

Great minds think alike!

And I love you and your ass.

 
At 8:24 AM , Blogger k.p. said...

i, too, had a feeling that i knew exactly where that "stupid" link was going to lead. *sigh*

as for the pats on the back, you totally deserve those. can i pat you on the front?

 
At 8:39 PM , Blogger crimsoncandy said...

Ah ... you deserve not one, not two, but three pats on the back!!!
If I can turn around the way I choose men ... well i'm throwin' meself a friggin' party! ;)
I've been thinking about starting one of these blogspot things - have been a little intimidated.
Happy Valentines to you and Sean.
Don't let the user name fool you - it's just little ole' me, Cindy from the LBC.
Kisses.

 
At 12:04 AM , Blogger t.rex said...

this is going to sound weird, but the only way i can log into blogger at my house is by leaving comments and logging in then. i apologize for the gratuitous comment, but i really want to post my blog. ha.

xo

 
At 10:11 PM , Blogger Pisser said...

Wait...where were the nipples? Are you just tryin' to draw more web traffic...? ;)

 
At 11:16 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

I'm not sure where the nipples came from...

 
At 6:59 PM , Blogger oakleyses said...

louboutin pas cher, north face, converse pas cher, north face uk, oakley pas cher, ray ban uk, hollister uk, michael kors, coach outlet, true religion outlet, sac vanessa bruno, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren, hogan outlet, polo lacoste, nike air max, kate spade outlet, burberry pas cher, hollister pas cher, lululemon canada, new balance, chanel handbags, true religion outlet, jordan pas cher, michael kors outlet, sac longchamp pas cher, coach outlet store online, michael kors, timberland pas cher, sac hermes, michael kors pas cher, guess pas cher, coach purses, nike blazer pas cher, nike air force, kate spade, nike tn, longchamp pas cher, vans pas cher, true religion outlet, air max, ray ban pas cher, nike free run, coach outlet, nike roshe

 
At 7:03 PM , Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors handbags, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, links of london, michael kors outlet online, supra shoes, converse outlet, pandora uk, ugg uk, ugg, ugg pas cher, converse, louis vuitton, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, replica watches, gucci, juicy couture outlet, ray ban, louboutin, timberland boots, lancel, doke gabbana, swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, pandora jewelry, iphone 6 cases, karen millen uk, pandora charms, hollister, nike air max, swarovski, wedding dresses, hollister, ralph lauren, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, louis vuitton, oakley, vans, toms shoes, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, thomas sabo, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, marc jacobs

 
At 5:54 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

fitflops outlet sale
ysl outlet
air jordan 4
tiffany and co
coach outlet online
nike mercurial
louis vuitton handbags outlet
ugg outlet store
true religion jeans
ralph lauren uk
ralph lauren outlet
coach outlet
swarovski outlet
michael kors handbags clearance
thomas sabo outlet
timberland shoes
soccer jerseys wholesale
louis vuitton bags
lacoste shirts
karen millen uk
1217

 
At 6:39 PM , Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

michael kors outlet
fitflops shoes
michael kors outlet
ugg boots
pandora outlet
louboutin shoes
ugg outlet
ralph lauren outlet
nike air huarache
boston celtics jersey
2017.7.7

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home